July 12, 2021
FORT WAYNE PHILHARMONIC
ANNOUNCES 2021-2022 SEASON
Music Director Andrew Constantine and the Fort Wayne Philharmonic today announced the Orchestra’s much-anticipated return to the stage for its 2021-2022 Season, marking 78 years serving everyone in Fort Wayne and all of Northeast Indiana.
“For the 2021-2022 Season, as we emerge from the suspension of our Seasons due to the worldwide pandemic, I will be featuring as many Philharmonic musicians as possible as soloists on the Masterworks Series,” said music director Andrew Constantine. “Audiences are sure to enjoy the most amazing array of music with our very own local star performers, including principal flute Luke Fitzpatrick, violinists Violetta Todorova, Christine Chon, Yana Bourkova-Morunov, Tim Tan, and Betsy Gephart, as well as principal cello Andre Gaskins, principal tuba Chance Trottman-Huiet, and percussionists Alison Chorn and Eric Schweikert. Adding to the roster are old and new friends such as pianists Orion Weiss and Richard Goode, guest conductor Maximiano Valdés, and a special Masterworks Series production of excerpts from Romeo and Juliet with Fort Wayne Ballet.”
2021-2022 Season Highlights:
The Paul Yergens and Virginia Yergens Rogers Foundation Masterworks Series
features beloved works of the symphonic repertoire, brand new compositions, top-notch soloists, and the exceptional artistry of the Fort Wayne Philharmonic, under music director Andrew Constantine. The series will also introduce guest conductor Maximiano Valdés, music director of the Puerto Rico Symphony. Series highlights include:
- October 2, 2021 –Beethoven’s Eroica – Beethoven fills the air as the Season heroically opens with music by one of the most legendary of all composers – Ludwig van Beethoven. Inspired by the ideals of the French Revolution, Beethoven originally dedicated his Eroica Symphony to Napoleon, but in a rage scratched out the dedication on the title page when Bonaparte declared himself emperor.
- January 29, 2022 – All Mozart – Acknowledged worldwide as one of today’s leading interpreters of Classical and Romantic music, pianist Richard Goode appears in a program that culminates with Mozart’s great Symphony No. 39.
- March 19, 2022 – Constantine Conducts Shostakovich – Music Director Andrew Constantine, a noted expert in the Russian repertory, takes on one of the greatest symphonies in the repertory, Shostakovich’s 5th. Heroic, meditative, and even humorous, the Symphony’s premiere was so successful it received an ovation that lasted well over half an hour.
- May 14, 2022 – Romeo and Juliet With Fort Wayne Ballet – The Season ends with Philharmonic musicians moving front and center as soloists in sparkling baroque repertory. The second half is devoted to Prokofiev’s legendary Romeo and Juliet, bringing together the Philharmonic with Fort Wayne Ballet, Indiana’s only full-time ballet company. Hear the Russian master’s take on Shakespeare’s timeless love story, with soaring melodies that have immediate appeal yet sound like nothing ever written before.
The Sweetwater Pops Series brings the very best in popular entertainment to Fort Wayne. Incredible artists, exciting film music, tributes to larger-than-life icons of the past, and holiday traditions all fit perfectly within this crowd-pleasing Series. Series highlights include:
- October 9, 2021 – Disney in Concert: Magical Music from the Movies – Four Broadway caliber vocalists, high resolution film clips from iconic Disney movies, and some of the best-known film music of our time make for an incredible evening. Hear favorites from some of the most famous movie scores ever – Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Mary Poppins, Aladdin, and The Lion King, exploring many of Walt Disney’s stories and characters through memorable melodies.
- November 6, 2021 - Aretha: A Tribute – This concert features Capathia Jenkins and three-time Grammy Award nominee Ryan Shaw performing Aretha Franklin’s greatest hits.
- December 10, 11, 18, and 19, 2021 - Holiday Pops - Revel in the traditional music, memories, and popular culture of Christmas, with exquisite singing, dancing, Santa and Mrs. Claus, a carol sing-along, and the “Hallelujah” Chorus.
- March 26, 2021 – John Williams: A 90th Birthday Celebration– Music director Andrew Constantine and the Philharmonic will commemorate John Williams’ landmark birthday with music from some of his most memorable film scores, including Star Wars, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Jaws, Jurassic Park, and more.
Other Series and concert information will be forthcoming soon.
The Philharmonic hosts a myriad of free and other community engagement events all season long, including Regional Holiday Pops and Patriotic Pops, the Fort Wayne Philharmonic/Conductors Guild International Conductor Workshop, family and special concerts, Live at Lunch, numerous small ensemble performances throughout the region, and educational initiatives such as the Youth Orchestras and Club Orchestra programs. Check the website at fwphil.org or call 260.422.4226 for more information.
The Paul Yergens and Virginia Yergens Rogers Foundation
Masterworks Series – Embassy Theatre
OPENING NIGHT: BEETHOVEN’S EROICA– Oct. 2, 2021 7:30 PM
THE RACH 2 – Oct. 23, 2021 7:30 PM
ALL MOZART – Jan. 29, 2022 7:30 PM
JOHN WILLIAMS AND DVOŘÁK – Feb. 19, 2022 7:30 PM
CONSTANTINE CONDUCTS SHOSTAKOVICH – Mar. 19, 2022 7:30 PM
TCHAIKOVSKY’S 5TH – Apr. 9, 2022 7:30 PM
ROMEO AND JULIET WITH FORT WAYNE BALLET – May 14, 2022 7:30 PM
Pops Series – Embassy Theatre
DISNEY IN CONCERT: MAGICAL MUSIC FROM THE MOVIES – Oct. 9, 2021 7:30 PM
ARETHA: A TRIBUTE – Nov. 6, 2021 7:30 PM
HOLIDAY POPS – DEC. 10, 11 & 18, 2021 7:30 PM & 11, 18 & 19 2:00 PM
MUSIC OF THE BEATLES: CLASSICAL MYSTERY TOUR – Feb. 5, 2022 7:30 PM
JOHN WILLIAMS: A 90TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION – Mar. 26, 2022 7:30 PM
**SUBSCRIPTIONS TO THE 2021-2022 SEASON GO ON SALE ON WEDNESDAY, JULY 14 AT 12:00 PM**
Full list of events.
NEW - Box Office Hours and Location:
The Philharmonic is now collaborating with Arts United to provide the best patron services possible. The ArtsTix Community Box Office will provide Philharmonic patrons one-stop shopping for tickets to events. The Box Office is now operated by Arts United in partnership with the Fort Wayne Philharmonic.
Arts United Center
303 East Main Street
Fort Wayne, IN 46802
Monday – Friday 12 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Saturday – 12 p.m. - 4 p.m. when there is an evening event
The Box Office opens one hour prior to performances at concert sites. Visit the Philharmonic website at fwphil.org or call 260-422.4226 for ticketing policies, accessibility information, and information about Student Tickets and FREE tickets for kids.